This is an edition of The Wonder Reader, a newsletter in which our editors recommend a set of stories to spark your curiosity and fill you with delight. Sign up here to get it every Saturday morning.
这是《奇迹读者》的版本,《通讯》的新闻通讯中,我们的编辑推荐一组故事来激发您的好奇心并充满喜悦。在这里注册每个星期六早上。
Being offended can make a person feel powerless. Someone says (or posts) something hurtful, and the sting comes fast. It doesn’t dissipate just because you tell it to.
冒犯会使一个人感到无能为力。有人说(或发布)一些伤害的东西,刺痛很快。它不会仅仅因为您告诉它而消散。
But there are some ways to control our experience when we feel insulted. One of the simplest is to laugh it off: “This is a very good option because it makes you the judge of how severe the offense is, rather than cede that judgment to some outside arbitrator,” Arthur C. Brooks wrote recently. Today’s newsletter collects some advice for dealing with insults and anger.
但是,当我们感到侮辱时,有一些方法可以控制我们的经验。最简单的之一就是嘲笑它:“这是一个非常好的选择,因为它使您对进攻有多严重,而不是将这种判决归结给某些外部仲裁员,”亚瑟·布鲁克斯(Arthur C. Brooks)最近写道。今天的新闻通讯收集了一些有关处理侮辱和愤怒的建议。
On Insults
侮辱
The Strength You Gain by Not Taking Offense
不进攻您获得的力量
By Arthur C. Brooks
亚瑟·布鲁克斯(Arthur C. Brooks)
We all face uncivil behavior or insulting comments at times, but you can choose how to react.
我们所有人有时都会面临不文明的行为或侮辱性评论,但是您可以选择如何做出反应。
Read the article.
阅读文章。
The Worst Insult I Ever Heard as an Opera Singer
我作为歌剧歌手听到过的最糟糕的侮辱
By James Parker
詹姆斯·帕克(James Parker)
I’m not sure how to recover from this.
我不确定如何从中恢复过来。
Read the article.
阅读文章。
I Gave Myself Three Months to Change My Personality
我给自己三个月来改变自己的个性
By Olga Khazan
由奥尔加·卡赞(Olga Khazan)
The results were mixed.
结果混合了。
Read the article.
阅读文章。
Still Curious?
还好奇吗?
Trolls aren’t like the rest of us : Online jerks and offline jerks are largely one and the same. Here’s how to keep them from affecting your happiness.
巨魔不像我们其他人:在线混蛋和离线混蛋在很大程度上是相同的。这是防止他们影响您幸福的方法。
Online jerks and offline jerks are largely one and the same. Here’s how to keep them from affecting your happiness. Stop firing your friends: Just make more of them, Olga Khazan wrote in 2023.
在线混蛋和离线混蛋在很大程度上是相同的。这是防止他们影响您幸福的方法。停止解雇您的朋友:只要做更多的事情,奥尔加·卡赞(Olga Khazan)在2023年写道。
Other Diversions
其他转移
P.S.
P.S.
Courtesy of Joyce T.
由乔伊斯T提供。
I asked readers to share a photo of something that sparks their sense of awe in the world. Joyce T., 71, shared this image of Copalis Beach, Washington.
我要求读者分享一张照片,这些照片激发了他们在世界上敬畏的感觉。71岁的乔伊斯·T。(Joyce T.)分享了华盛顿科帕利斯海滩的这张照片。
I’ll continue to feature your responses in the coming weeks.
在接下来的几周内,我将继续进行您的回答。
— Isabel
- 伊莎贝尔